From Script To Screen: Research For The Character Design

 I started by googling the word magician to see what sort of thing popped up. The main things I saw were dark clothes, usually black, a suit jacket, trousers, a bowtie - either black or red, a top hat, a wand, a cape and white gloves.

When comparing this to the real life magician's I researched I got very different results. Most of them wore casual clothes. This may be a part of their act to have a man on the street type of casual look. This gives the illusion that there is nothing particularly special about them, so when they start preforming magic it seems more incredible. The look I have found shows the magician in a higher standing to the average person. They want to be seen above the average man as they are giving off the illusion that they are. They have their magic to seem more compelling than the average man. They also use their clothes such as their cape and top hat, to aid in their performance. Whether used in misdirection or to cause an effect such as pulling a rabbit out of a hat. This makes it seem like everything they interact with is magic. 

Using the research I gathered from my character study, it seems as though there is some form of narcissism involved when someone has a dissociative personality. Therefore I feel it will work with my character more If I present him in an over-the-top way. He will want peoples attention and to feel special in some sort of way.

Of course really my character will be wearing typical institute clothes which normally consist of basic clothing - top and trousers normally white. They can be provided with things like dressing gowns. In special cases where patients may be violent they are forced to wear a straight jacket.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh