Introduction To Character Design

We were each given a random item, which we had to research and draw. The item I was given was a Roman Gladius. We had study the item and look at many references in order to understand what we were tasked with drawing, before we drew it. I gathered lots of references, most importantly historical references, in order to get a realistic idea of the Gladius before drawing. 





After drawing a Roman Gladius, I then had to pick a character type and then draw a Gladius which would fit their personality. I chose to do a villain and so made the edges more pointed and added a skull. I feel I may have overdone this design as the sword stopped looking like a Roman Gladius and more like a generic sword. 




Today I was introduced to the character design project. You are given a character type, a theme, character trait, world time, scene and action. You are then required to create a character bible based upon the criteria. Below I have listed what I got.

Character: Superhero/Supervillain

Theme: Psychedelic Album Covers

Character Trait: Vain

World Time: 1960's

Scene (What's Happening): Saving/Destroying City

Action: His/Her Powers


I then began gathering images which fit each of the themes in order to get a better understanding of what I'm doing. I found some really interesting cover art from a range of different bands. 



I looked up 60's cities in order to see what type of landscapes I will be working with. 



I then combined the two ideas and searched up psychedelic landscapes and picked some of the most interesting images. 


I looked up what types of superheroes/villains where around in the 60's in order to understand what sort of hero/villain my character could be. 


Psychedelic patterns


Below I have photoshopped some of the psychedelic patterns I found into the city pictures. I like the clash between the two different worlds, with the city looking dull and boring and then the bright colours surrounding it. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh