Diomira Research: City Detail Analysis



Next I made a list of things stated in the text which needed to be shown in my city

  • Sixty Silver Domes
  • Bronze statues of the gods
  • Lead streets
  • Crystal theatre 
  • A golden cock 
  • Tower
  • September evening
  • Multicoloured lamps
  • Food  stalls 

Before begging my final three sketches, I must first investigate how each of the things stated above will look. This will help create an aesthetic for my city as well as ensuring I explore each idea. As I learnt from my thumbnail drawings, your first idea isn't necessarily your best idea. 

I started by looking at the most prominent detail about the city, the silver domes. One thing that is worth mentioning first however, is the fact that the text never mentions any form of house apart from domes. We are left to assume that the houses the people live in are the domes, however to follow the story concept I have made for the city, I want the rich to live in the silver domes and the poor to live in 18th century houses. This will show a stark difference in class which I can show visually, to tell the story of the people. 

Domes Mood Board

Domes are usually used in religious architecture as they reflect the direction of prayer. The dome shape is also closely linked to royalty. This idea can be carried through different cultures to represent the idea of power in some way with examples such as The Capitol building in Washington D.C, The Taj Mahal in Agra, St Pauls Cathedral in England and St. Basils Cathedral in Moscow. 

Dome architecture found in Russia, feature domes with an onion like shape. There are also geodesic domes which are comprised of a series of small triangles. They are quicker to make, with the structure being much stronger than a regular domes and are much lighter. I like the look of these typed of domes as they include texture, making them interesting to look at.  



Bronze Statue Mood Board 


In order to investigate the bronze statues of the gods, I firstly found some real world examples. 


The statues are good for showing scale in my environment so the viewer is able to identify how tall certain aspects of the environment may be.



When looking at a Greek statue it is made clear what their gift or power is by the objects they are holding.  I can use visuals such as these to describe my Gods.


Lead Paved Streets Mood Board

I investigated lead streets to see how I could use these images to interpret my own lead street.  It was the texture of the lead that interested me the most.

Crystal Theatre mood board


Globe theatre, Sydney opera house, Teatro La Fenice, 

Next I looked at the interior and exterior of theatres in order to analyse how they are structured.  This is due to me wanting to draw the interior of a theatre for my interior establishing shot from my thumbnail.  I liked the way the Glob Theatre had a place for the rich and poor which relates to the visual description of the City's class system.  This is one idea I could investigate further.






Futuroscope theme park in France (crystal building).

I found an interesting building which is shaped like a crystal located in France.  I really like this structure as it is unique and seems to fit in well with the description of the building.  It is more interesting to look at that a normal theatre which will help make my drawing look more interesting.


Golden Cock And Tower Mood Board



As the cockerel goes off at certain times I assume there is a clock so I decided to look at clocktowers. 


Food stalls Moodboard

 



As this was mentioned in the text I decided to investigate different styles of food stalls.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh