What If Metropolis? Project Start

 After finishing the previous project, I managed to produce three concept paintings of the city of Diomira, which derived from the text written by Italo Calvino.



Upon reflection of my work, I stated that I was happy with my concept paintings up until I added the colour as I felt it lost its professional look. This is one aspect I want to improve on throughout the second project. 

Before starting the project I must first pick one of the concept art pieces of Diomira which I want to turn into the 3D rendered image. I feel like the image which shows off the city best is the exterior establishing shot (middle one). I feel as though this piece shows off my interpretation of the city the best to the viewer.


Now that I have identified the concept piece I will be going with, I then referred to my tutor to ask what I could improve upon to make the image better. I want my concept art to be the strongest it can be to allow the ideas I have for the city to be on perfect display for the viewer. This will then help with the rest of the production cycle as everyone has a clear idea of what they are creating. My tutor suggested that I should be more confident when it comes so painting an image. At the moment the concept piece looks very flat. This is due to there being minimal shading as well as any type of shadow. They suggested that I should try to change the time of day of the image to allow me to display greater details in the image you may not see in its current state. This will help the viewer break down what they are looking at more easily as each part of the image will be shown in a different light. 

As this is a digital piece of art, you are able to go back and improve upon it. To make the image night time, you simply have to go back to photoshop and create a new layer above the original drawing, ensuring that the layer is set to multiply. You then select the paint bucket tool and a colour which will represent the night time. You don't want to choose pure black as this is unnatural, instead use a darker blue. You then change the opacity allowing the image below to be seen, and then create another layer above this (also multiply) for you to add in the shadows. Finally another layer can be created (ensuring this one is a screen layer)  for the light source's in the image. This layer is what makes different elements of the painting pop and adds life to the image. Its important that if a light source is present in the image that you show how it is effecting the world around it. For example if the light in the house is on then everything surrounding the window of the building will be effected by the light in some way.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh