Introduction To From Script To Screen Project

 Today I was introduced to the Script To Screen project. 


For the project you are assigned a random location, character and item. You are then meant to base your story on the provided information, adding additional story elements based on the context. 

For the location I was assigned hospital, for the character I was assigned Magician and for item I was assigned a briefcase. I am happy with the 3 I received as they don't seem too far fetched and seem to work together nicely. I like the way we don't get to decide what were working with as it takes the pressure off thinking of a story from scratch and forces you to think more about how three elements will interact. As my tutor put it, Lord of the rings in its most basic form is about  a farmer travelling to a volcano to deliver a ring. By braking such a complex story down into something more manageable it helped me to understand the depth I can go into when creating my story. 




Below I have listed my initial ideas for a story made from a hospital, magician and briefcase:

Magician is rushed to hospital. For whatever reason Doctors open his briefcase (either forced to or curious) and end up releasing whatever magic is contained. 

I like this idea as it can go as chaotic as I want. The briefcase can contain anything from a simple rabbit to something more grand such as a mythical creature 

Magician is contracted to steal briefcase from someone in the hospital (such as a mafia boss) to retrieve whatever valuable thing is inside (this doesn't have to be stated)

This story shows that I have to think of what sort of person the magician is. Are they good or bad? Do they use real magic or just tricks?

Magician's rabbit is sent to the hospital (vets)

The hospital doesn't necessarily have to be for humans it could be a vets. Maybe the magician cant preform without his rabbit so their could be a plot there.

Magician works at hospital and uses what's in his briefcase to heal patients.

Magician travels the world with a hospital in his magic briefcase. 

This reminds me of how Newt carries an animal sanctuary in his briefcase in Fantastic Beasts. I tried to apply it to my character. 

Overall I need to look in to what type of role my main character will play in the world so I can then base the story around that. 




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh