Character Design: Animal Anatomy

 Today we looked at animals and how their anatomy works. Justin broke down the fundamentals which make up an animal and then tasked us with drawing the animal he assigned to us. I got a rhino as my animal. I found an image of a rhino online and began drawing. I broke up its key joints to start with in order to get an understanding of its size. I then connected the joints with lines and fleshed it out. 



Justin then explained that many mythical creatures found in character design are mainly derived from animals in real life. I was then assigned 2 animals, a Polar Bear and an Otter, and had to turn them into one creature. This was harder than it seemed, especially considering the difference in the two animals. I decided to identify a common theme between the two which I could use to link into its design. I found that both animals are suited to swim in water and so I could use this idea in the design.



For the final task I had to make an animal which was suitable for an artic environment. This animal could be as strange as you wanted it to be, as long as it had features which suited its appropriate environment. My creature has long fur to keep it warm and a shell. In order to traverse the environment, It tucks itself into its shell and pushes itself around with its tail. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh