What If Metropolis? Lighting And Rendering

 When it came to the placement of the camera I struggled due to the way the image is displayed in the drawing. I had to not only line up all the models but also the matte painting. I was originally going to render the scene with the matte painting but after having some difficulty getting it to go where I want it to, I decided to render both of them separately and stitch them together in Photoshop, like we did with the farm scene. 

For the main lighting I used a directional light and placed it behind the buildings on the left as if it were the sun. I tried to copy the placement of the light source in the concept art. I then created point lights to highlight the light in the windows. I attempted to create the same effect as the concept art with the glowing windows. Finally I made the torches and dangling lights by using the Arnold mesh light. I really liked the effect created by the dangling lights in particular.


I had to change the render samples for all of the lights to get rid of the grainy effect. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh