From Script To Screen: Strengthening The Story

 Out of all the stories I have thought up for my three objects so far, I really like the idea of the story taking place inside of the head of a patient at a mental institution. I feel like there is a lot of potential to build up a story which offers and interesting start with the magician appearing to have god-like powers to a satisfying ending with the realisation that nothing is real and is taking place inside of the characters head. I still need to come up with a obstacle for the middle part of the story, but feel I can link it in some way to the characters trauma which has left him with the illness he has. This is the same for the magician, I hope by researching and understanding mental illnesses more I will be able to create a solid backstory which links to the obsession of be a magician.

I need to investigate the different aspects of the stories world to help build upon the ideas I have so far. This will help to strengthen my understanding of the character.

From the presentation provided I have found a what to break down the stories world into four main points

Period - A stories place in time

Duration - A stories length through time

Location - A stories place in space

Level Of Conflict - A stories position on hierarchy of human struggles


Period

By working out the period of time it will help me to understand what sort of paths my story will take as I will know what is available in its world. This could be technology, knowledge the characters have and history (what came before the story). If the main plot is set within the main characters head then this gives me the ability to bend time. This could work in my favour to create a parody world which the viewer doesn't feel completely comfortable in but does not quite know why. Or maybe the time period is modern day however the character is fixated on a moment in time, which I could then link back to the trauma they experienced. 

I also need to work out whether the character is isolated in their room or walking around the facility. The character could be going about their daily routine in the hospital and the things they interact with appear in subtle ways within their dazed confusion. The only problem with this method would be showing all the information within 2 minuets. I could do this in a series of flashbacks or go for the easier option and isolate the character in their room. I could probably create a very powerful final image if I reveal a white room with scribbles and objects around it relating to the magician section of the story. 

I want to look into similar stories which follow a mentally unhealthy character to see how they deal with certain plot points. Two examples which I instantly think of are Shutter Island and Joker. 

Duration

The duration is pretty set at a 2 minuets animation, however their way this is done needs to be considered. I know that to tell a good story it needs to have the structure:

Beginning (Act 1)                   Capture attention       Introduce problem

Middle (Act 2)                        Provide tension          Present obstacle

End (Act 3)                             Provide closure          Resolve problem

However the stories which get the most recognition are those which switch up the formula and subvert expectation. They make the viewer feel secure and in control of what's going on and then suddenly turn it on its head. This is something I find really interesting in stories and want to try and incorporate it into my story. One way I can do this is by making my character an unreliable narrator. The character is telling the story to the listener from solely their perspective with no other input. The audience is then forced to trust what they are being told as that is the information they have been given from a character who believe it to be true. This has proven to be an effective story telling method which has been used in countless stories to subvert the expectation of the audience. 

Location

This is the same situation as the time period, I need to decide a strong motive for my character to dictate where the story will take place. I want to link it with their mental struggle in some way. I will need to research into this further. 

Of course the real location will be the hospital and I want there to be subtle hints throughout which explains this. I could do this by adding in district hospital sounds to the background and through what the character interacts with.  

Level Of Conflict

In terms of human struggles, mental health is something everyone struggles with and is something that is getting more and more attention in the modern day. Its a very sensitive subject and so needs to be handled with care. You see recent films such as Joker deal with these themes in a way that is both respectful and insightful towards the audience. You get to learn the struggles people face and the impact society has upon them. I previously looked at the animator Don Hertzfeldt. He tackles dark themes in sort animations, animated in a stick figure art style. This presents the characters as innocent showing the darkness which goes on inside their head. I want to refer back to this to help me pick an art style for my storyboard.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh