Character Design: Heroes, Villain's And Sidekick's

 Today was my first character design lesson. We started by learning about the 

The first task was to take a well know Pixar character and change its art-style, while still keeping the fundamental which make the character iconic. I chose to do Woody from Toy Story. I attempted to draw him in a stylized, cartoon art-style. 




As a second attempt with the same character, I tried drawing Woody as the comic relief character. This meant simplifying his features
I learnt that strong characters are normally designed with square shapes, villain characters are designed with triangular shapes and friendly characters are made up of circular shapes. This is because squares are solid, heavy looking shapes, triangles are pointy, sharp, looking shapes and circles are safe looking shapes. 

With this in mind, the next task required that I took Woody and attempt to turn him into one of the three types of characters, using the information learned. I decided to make woody look like a villain. I made his chin more pointy, gave him a sinister expression and jagged clothing. Justin suggested that I try to make the body more triangular as I made it a bit too square, making the character look strong, rather than villainous. 

For the next task I was given a theme of Vikings and had to draw a set of Vikings with different builds. The shapes used would determine the Vikings personality. I gave this task a good go even though I'm not used to drawing Vikings. I used the guides to help with each build, however I struggled a bit at connecting the legs to the body. 


The last task had me use the same theme, this time focusing on just the face. I tried using squares in the design to show the Viking as strong. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh