Charcter Bible: Designing Joe Average

 Now that I had created designed one of the main characters, I now had to design the other one, Joe Average. 

I started by making a mood board surrounding ideas of the 60s and comic books. 

In order to make the time difference stand out, I want Joe to look as if he is from the 60's. One way I can do this is by giving him a 60's hair cut and clothes. I also want to visually show that he is from the 60's by drawing him in a 60's comic book art style. 




Originally, as seen in the first sketch, I made Joe a skinny teenager. This was to follow along with the sidekick archetype's such as Robin (Batman). However After drawing the character, I thought he looked a bit generic and boring. I thought about the dynamic between both Joe and Elliot and what their relationship is like at the beginning of the story. As Elliot is obsessed with achieving the perfect human form (as he is vain), I thought why not make Joe the opposite in order to create a contrast between the two characters. This makes it so when Joe does get struck by the time machine, Elliot will be even more devastated as Joe looks like the wrong person for the job. He is yet to become the man who Elliot comes to know and so it will cause Elliot to doubt that Joe is truly the real hero, Ab-Normal. When Joe does eventually become the hero he is meant to be, It will show others that being a hero does not come from your appearance, but how you are on the inside. This is an important lesson that not only Elliot needs to learn, but also everyone in general. 


With that thought in mind I was able to finalize a version of Joe. 

Originally he had more lines on his face( much like the version in the sketch faze), however when shown to my tutor, he expressed that it made him look far too old. He did not look like a teenager, which is an essential part of the story. For this reason I went back and erased the lines, as well as rounding out his eyes and head more. 



When drawing Joe's body, I reference a superhero drawing book in order to make sure it was as comic accurate as I could. I then used my references to influence the characters clothes








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh