Toolkit 2: Modelling Jetpack Jones

 Firstly you have to analyse the orthographs in order to identify the methods needed in order to model the character. You need an understanding of who the character is and what they are going to be doing in the animation, in order to identify what their model is going to be needed to do. 

The image below breaks down the muscles in the characters face which are needed in order for them to be animated properly. The common zones of the face, dictates how the geometry will need to work. 


Started by putting the orthographs in the scene.


For the reference image I made a camera and placed it at a 45 degree angle. I then put in an image plane and selected the image, and changed the depth to 25 like the other images. 



I then changed the reference images colour in the attribute editor by changing the colour gain. I then created a layer for each of the reference images.



To start, I created the characters eye. This is an important starting point as the entire face is anchored around it. I lined the eye up with the side profile of the orthograph and then the front orthograph. This didn't have to be perfect, however it needed to be accurate enough 

Next I added a lambert texture to the sphere to create an eye. Used a ramp texture and changed it to 



Now that the prep had been done, I was now able to begin the model. I created a cube with the subdivision of 2 and extruded it to the rough size of the characters head facing front. I then went into the side view and did the same thing. I continued to switch between the two perspectives until I got a head shape I liked. I then began adding edge loops in order to further mould the model into the shape of the characters head. I found the more edges I added to the model, the more confusing it got and so I struggled making the model fit the strange proportions of the character. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh