Premise Proposal Update

 Today I talked with my GTA in order to see what they think of my idea:

Story Idea

Set in a future Japan. The world has become reliant on technology (cyberpunk) and uses it to enhance the human form. Japan has moved away from its traditional ways of living, however there is a tribe who stay loyal to their beliefs and have banished the use of technology from their village. As Japan is dealing with an overpopulation due to people living longer than they should from technology, it has started building in any available space. This means the once countryside, is now city, where the tribe residence. Their is a peace agreement between the two factions, as long as no one breaks any of the rules, the two live side by side. Their is rumour of a chip which will grant the user immorality. This would be the downfall of man as no one would ever die, in an already overpopulated world. A secret unit forms within the tribe, who go against the peace treaty to locate and destroy the chip. The plan is a success, however the news quickly spreads to the higher-ups of Japan. They send a special unit out to retrieve the chip at all costs... 


I wanted to hear their thoughts from a students perspective in order to identify whether my concept would be achievable given the time frame, as well advice on research I would have to conduct in order to ensure I am able to produce the animated short. 

After presenting my idea, Alfie questioned me on how I would convey this information to the audience so that they would be able to follow along with the events of the story. I suggested that I could do this through text at the beginning of the animation describing the story so far, a method used in films such as Star Wars. He explained that although this method certainly works in some cases, it is unwise to throw an unnecessary amount of information at the audience before the animation has even started. This is not an effective way of engaging the audience and seems less professional as it seems you are able to appropriately convey information to the audience through the form of animation. 

Alfie instead suggested that I look at films such as Blade runner, which uses striking establishing shots at the beginning in order to set the scene for the rest of the film. You can also use imagery such as signage which maybe points to the overcapacity of the city. Blade runner was an especially good example as their are multiple cuts of the film, with the original having a narrator explain the events of the film before it begins. I want to investigate this further in order to understand how I should present my work, looking at both the positives and negatives of each method. 

Alfie also suggested that I referenced the following material as well as the technique of Mise-en-scene:

Ghost In A Shell
Space Dandy
AstroBoy
Ready Player One




As well as this Alfie also questioned the incorporation of Japan within the narrative, suggesting that the events could take place anywhere in the world if I shift the focus more around the fact that the world is being taken over by technology. This wasn't to say I could not use Japan as the location, however If I do set it their I have to give a clear reason why. 

My original reason for choosing Japan is from my research I learnt that the Cyberpunk genre is based on the Wester idea of what they thought Japan would turn into post-war, had it continued with its rapid build up of technology. Elements were also included in the overall cyberpunk aesthetic as it seemed exotic to the Western audience, yet familiar enough to seem believable for a distant future. 

As previously mentioned, I really like the contrast between traditional Japanese architecture against the cyberpunk aesthetic. I think its really interesting how one culture was built with honor and tradition in mind (Japanese), where as the other tears that apart and shows the greed of humanity (Cyberpunk). I think it would be interesting to develop a narrative with this idea in mind which shows the clash in cultures. I can also use this opportunity to indulge in a culture which is very different from my own in order to gain a better understanding of the history of a culture different to my own. Of  I also want to use Japanese animation as a reference for the fighting style and character design. I will research further into this idea by reviewing some Japanese animations as well as gathering references to build a stronger understanding of this world. 

I was able to gain a clearer idea and outcome I want to try and achieve for the project and now know what sort of research I need to be doing in order to influence my work.

I like the idea of starting the animation with establishing shots of the world, which conveys the state of the world through visual imagery. When the fight begins I want the two characters to be fighting over an object of some sort, such as a microchip, which grants the power of immortality to the user. When the tribe leader grabs the chip you can see the environment change to match his beliefs that the world is better off without technology. Trees will grow and the world will seem a lot clearer. As the fight progresses he can even be fixing the damages which have occurred throughout the fight. The opposite will be seen from the man on the side of Cyberpunk, causing the temple to be consumed further in the technology which is swamping the world. The world around him will turn dark and decay. 


I will research the concepts discussed above and follow up on my thoughts of how I want my project to play out once I have a better understanding.  



Comments

  1. Hi Ronnie, it was good talking to you thursday. It sounds like you're more confident in where you want to go with this project and that's great! I did a little more thinking after our talk and have some influences you might want to consider:

    - Cyberpunk 2077: If I remember correctly in the game the more the player enhances their body the more likely they are to suffer from all the modifications. "Cyberpsychosis is a mental illness, specifically a dissociative disorder, caused by an overload of cybernetic augmentations to the body."

    I thought this might be something you could play around with for your cyberpunk character.

    - Also, during the fight you could possibly have a shot where the cyberpunk character starts to see binary code. Similar to the Matrix when Neo becomes the one. This could be used to show how he is becoming more machine than man.
    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYwdzYC3uUc)

    If I think of anything else that might help, I'll drop a comment.

    Goodluck

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh