Premise: Improving Upon Initial Character Design - The Head

Today I continued with designing my characters head. I liked certain elements from the origional design, such as the mask, however wanted to add more personality to the characters face. Its important to the story that the traditional character is seen as human and so I wanted to make this clear by only covering a portion of his face. His eyes are left for the audience to see so that they can see his emotions throughout the animation. I added a scar to display that this is not his first battle and to show weakness in him. He has not modified his body like the cyberpunk world and so can be damaged for taking part in battle. 



As I continued to draw I decided that I wanted his eyebrows to look more interesting and so I made them look more extreme. I felt that this balanced out the face more. 








After finishing the face I then added the straw hat which is seen in the original image. I then experimented with different looks to see how I felt about the character. 















I tried mashing all of the elements I had created together in order to see what I could create for the final character. I like the character having hair however I am unsure about the hat. The character could always lose his hat midway through the fight, allowing me to incorporate both ideas. 

I found it interesting how changing something as simple as the eyes, completely changes how you view the character. I tried experimenting with changing the mask to a more traditional Samurai look, however did not feel that this suited the character as much. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh