Toolkit 2: Using Mudbox To Sculpt A Pepper

 Instead of using a sphere, which is hard to UV, I instead took a cube and used the smooth mesh preview to polygon setting in modify (convert) tab. I could now easily UV the shape. 

Once this was done I sent the model to Mudbox and began sculpting the basic shape. 



Once the basic shape had been sculpted, additional detail was needed for the stalk of the pepper. In order to add this detail the model was sent back to Maya as an updated version. I then circularized the top and bottom faces and extruded out the top to create a stalk shape. Once this was done I had to go back into the UV editor and cut the stalk from the main model. 

I could then sent the model back to Mudbox to be sculpted. 





I used a variety of different tools in order to make the pepper look more detailed, the main ones being grab, sculpt and smooth. I used a refrence in order to understand the basic shape of a pepper and followed along with my tutor. 




I then continued by adding the base colour to the pepper. 


I then took the model into Maya once it was done. In order to do this you must turn the model down to its lowest level and sent that to Maya as a new scene. You then go through and select the rest of the details at their highest level and sent them to Maya as a bump map. This way you get the same level of detail, with drastically less polygons. 






Pepper reference. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh