Minor Project: Following 3D Head Tutorial

 In order to begin the 3D side of the project, I started by firstly researching videos on YouTube which I could use to help with some of the models. I also thought it was important to just watch videos on Maya in general in order to see other people work flows and as a way to discover new tools I could use in Maya. 

I found the video below which shows how to model a human head, which I could use to help with my Samurai character.  Even if I didn't end up using the model I had made, I still wanted to see how someone else models a head as I have only done it a handful of times and I want to find the most efficient way which works for me.  




I found the video to be very detailed and it helped me with understanding topology to a point, however certain steps taken in order to get to the final product differed from what I had been taught, which confused me when I got to the end of the video. 













The example image show what the character should have looked like if I continued to follow the tutorial instead of making the changes for the model to look more like my character. The geometry is a lot cleaner and, unlike mine, looks as if it suits the type of head the person was going for. 






I feel the reason why my character did not turn out the way I wanted it to was because I was trying to follow a tutorial for a completely different type of head. My character is cartoony and this tutorial is showing you how to do a realistic head. The character is too high poly, that meant that when it came to making the changes to make it look more like my character there was too much geometry. 

I did however find it useful following the tutorial even if I do not end up using this head. I found making the ears particularly useful as I haven't had to model them before. I think they look very realistic. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh