Minor Project: Improvements Needed For Characters Designs + Investigating 3D Samurai Models

 After showing off the 3D models of my characters to both my Tutors they explained that..

I need to firstly find out whether the armour I'm modelling is accurate both in the direction the armour panels are facing and the way the armour fits the character. It is essential to understanding how everything comes together in 3D if you understand how the armour works in real life. 

There are also things such as what will need to be modelled and what I can get away with just texturing in substance painter, which I did not consider. I firstly need to identify the materials I will be using to then understand what needs to be modelled and what can be left up to the texturing faze.

As well as this my Samurai character has exposed shoes so you can see his toes. I was advised that If I want to make my life easier when it comes to animation, I should just give him boots which cover his feet. Therefore there is less to consider when animating. This is the sort of thing I never considered when designing the character and so I want to go back through and apply this thinking to both characters as a whole. 


Looking at the original design of my character, I was informed that the shoulders are too shrunken and should instead be farther up and broader at the shoulder. My tutor explained due to how the back is flat with the arms attaching higher up in the model, the character looks weaker and has a more feminine structure. It is important that this is not the case as I am making a fight scene and I want the character to look powerful. I was told about a useful website called Sketchfab where you are able to look at other peoples 3D models, which update in real time as you rotate around them. My tutor was then able to show me an example of what they meant with one of the models (as seen below). Its important for the anatomy to look correct even though the character may be stylized. I will make the changes to improve upon  my character. 

Torso Anatomy Base Mesh By danielmclogan


In terms of the Cyberpunk character, I was told to consider making the legs either thicker to seem more powerful or skinnier so that the feet meet as a point as if the character has blades for legs. The same problem with the arms as the legs is that they look too weak as they are thin, which makes them look like they can break. This isn't good for a fight scene story wise, however from a technical point I was advised that this may cause problems when rigging as the arms are so thin. I was advised to alter the design of the arms so that I do not encounter any problems in the future.  


Finally I need to confirm the art direction I want for my animation in terms of 3D. I have already investigate the type of art style I like, which is the less realistic cartoony style with possibly a cell shaded look. I have reference a lot of anime throughout my project as inspiration and it would be nice if I could find a way to show this in 3D. I will need to investigate and confirm my style so that I can ensure that the 3D is consistant. 



Samurai Warlord - Shogun By Zeroswat



Maple Samurai By StubbornFunkyDonkey



Samurai The Shogunate By heat3d



Samurai By Rob Allen



Samurai By Alexandr Kryuchek



Chaos Samurai Warrior By stephane-e



Artificial Arm With Bone - By Prashant Yadav


As I also need to model the characters wooden arm I also found a model of Wolf's arm from the game Sekiro. I got the inspiration to add a wooden arm from Wolf's design and so I thought it would be useful to reference the model when making my characters arm. 


Now that I have been able to see other people's interpretations of a Samurai in 3D, I now feel a lot more confident modelling my own character. I now understand that each part of the armour needs to fit together in a logical way and by understanding how each part works together I can model far easier. If at any point I get confused, I can always go back and reference the models. While my focus was to understand how to complete the top half of the armour, I also found it useful to see how the shin pads fitted around the characters legs. When it came to drawing my references I wasn't clear as to how I want the shin pads to connect. I now have a variety of models to reference and pick from to influence my design. 

My tutor explained that it would be best to model the upper body of the character and then build upon this with each part of the armour. This way I will be able to model the armour in the correct way. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh