Minor Project: Investigating Environment + Revised Layout Of Map

 Now that I have completed the revised animatic, I now want to begin creating the environment in 3D. However I want to go about doing this in a different way compared to last year, when I modelled the environment for the pre-viz. For the pre-viz I ended up modelling the entire environment as one big model, which allowed me to visualize the animation from my drawings, however made it hard to get certain shots to work. It also made the modelling process more confusing for me as I had to make the environment suitable for the story but also match the drawings (which didn't fit perfectly together). 



Instead of doing the same thing for the revised environment, I decided to take a step back and firstly understand how the environment is used within the animation. I did this by collecting every shot where the environment is present within the animatic. 


Now that I had gathered each shot and placed them side by side, I could then piece together my environment a lot more clearly in my head. As it turned out there were not really too many shots which show the environment, which was good as my projects focus is characters and animation. 

I decided to recreate a top down view of what the environment now looked like with the improved animatic compositions. When it came to the mountains and cyberpunk building, I tried to place them in a way which would make sense from a cameras perspective. Always taking into account what the camera needs to see in order for the shot to make sense. 



After drawing up the map, I then decided to do a quick video displaying how the two characters navigate the environment for the duration of the animation. 




It was very useful to complete this map of the environment as I can now visualize what I need to model so that the 3D will look the same as the animatic. The idea of creating the environment was really confusing me before gathering all of the shots together, as I didn't know how to make the environment look good and also fit together as a complete model. However now that I have identified that the environment can be created based on the shot, I am more confident in modelling it. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh