Major Project: Fixing Samurai Character Blendshapes + Eyebrows + Eye Rig

 Today I asked my tutor about the issues surrounding the blendshapes I was adding to my rig. I found that If I tried to move the bend the character, the head and its geometry would become unaligned. 

This was due to the head blendshapes being created while the head had transform information applied to it. When creating both the blink blendshape and eyebrow blendshape, I moved the head so that it the mirror tool could be used. In doing so I made it so the head no longer transformed on the same rotation as the rest of the body. 

In order to fix this the head had to be unskinned from the model and then have it history deleted. It then had to be rebound and skinned back to the skeleton. After doing this I then had to go back through and redo both the characters blink and eyebrow movement. 




I used the same method before in order to create the blink and eyebrow movement and was able to successfully connect it to the main bod this time. I referred to the character expression sheet while completing the eyebrow movements so that the characters emotions would look similar. 



I am really happy with the results and feel I have been able to successfully translate my drawing to 3D. 



After fixing the issues with the head I then completed the final part of the rig, the eye control. This allows the characters eyes to be moved around either through rotating the character themselves or by moving the eye control rig. This was quite simple to create as it mainly consisted of constraining the two eyes to the control.  






Now that the rig is complete, I want to bring everything together by applying the textures. I found the process of creating both characters to be tedious, however learnt a lot by having to do both at the same time. It helped me to remember the process, as well as helped me to understand why certain things are done. It was also very useful to have two completely different characters to the video as it forced me to make decisions as to what I needed for my own rig and how to apply the knowledge of the video. At times I had to make my own decisions as to what I wanted my characters to actually do for the animation and by having different geometry I had to make decisions as to where to select and bind different components together. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh