Major Project: Rendering Progress 8

 Today I continued rendering the animation.




I really like this shot as you can really see all of the effort put into texturing the characters. 





I had now completed all of the first section of rendering. Now I had to prepare the second environment which contained the stairs which lead up to the Japanese Palace.  I had made the decision to return the palace back to its black and white look, just like my drawings. This way it could look shrouded in darkness in the background. Although I like the textures I had made for the Palace, I understood that It would be a lot harder on the renderer. 

One of the main plot points I had yet to address was the the fire which is engulfing the Japanese Palace. In the story the Samurai has been betrayed and what is left of his world is set on fire. This is quite a bit plot point in the animation so I knew I couldn't just skip it. After thinking it over I remembered Maya has a content browser full of premade objects and effects. As I was running out of time I decided to give it a go to see if I could get this problem solved. After experimenting with the different effects Maya offered, I decided to go with their fire.smoke effect. I started with small flames which looked okay, however wasn't quite relaying the drama of the scene. I then decided to add two more additional fire.smoke and increase the size of each one until I got the effect I wanted. This resulted in the shot I managed to create below which I am really happy with as I feel it perfectly relays the shock of the scene. 




From this shot on I then decided to make every scene in the second section of the map have and orange tinge. This was to sell the idea that the palace was on fire. If I has the time I would have liked to take this idea further by having the light flicker to take this idea one step further. 





The Palace itself would have been far to taxing on the renderer if it was constantly on fire (the fire scene was the longest scene to render taking 6 mins per frame). I therefore took a render of the castle on fire from the previous scene to use as a matte painting and placed it on a flat plane for the background. This way you can see that the building is still on fire while also saving precious time to render. The castle itself was meant to be an additional detail from the start and not the focus of the scene. As it turned out, the textures on the palace would not have shown up clearly enough to bother increasing the render times. The black and white helps to blend with the fire more. 








This shot turned out to be one of the longest to render due to it being so close to the characters face. Luckily it was only 17 frames so this did not matter too much. 





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh