Minor Project: Pre-viz

 Today I was finally able to complete the pre-viz of my animation. This ended up taking longer than I thought however this was due to me wanting to convey the events of the animatic as closely as possible. 

I found that the test models worked for what I wanted them to do however the rigs themselves were not optimal at times. This mean certain parts had the characters arm moving in strange ways. However this would not be a problem if a proper rig was created with limiters as well as easier access of the controls. The same could be said for the skinning which I did alter to fit my needs to a point, however could take this a step further with more time on the real models. Overall I was pleased that the models were not breaking and instead worked to help create the pre-viz. I now feel more optimistic about creating the final animations knowing now that my models work for what I need them to do. I can now finish the two models with this in mind. 

In terms of animation I tried to show off the events detailed in the animatic while also trying to keep it brief as it is a pre-viz. Before starting the animation process I thought the running cycles would be the most challenging part of the pre-viz, however I found that my drawings translated well if I mirror the actions of the character frame by frame. I now feel the running cycles are the strongest part of the pre-viz and convey the movement of the characters well. My favourite part in particular is when the cyberpunk character is running towards the bridge ready to jump as I feel it conveys what I was trying to show in the drawing effectively. I'm excited to see what I will be able to do with the movement once I have proper rigs in place for the characters.

In terms of the environment, I feel that this works well with what I was trying to convey with each shot. I don't feel I will go much more detailed with the final models and instead enhance the landscape with higher quality textures and smaller details such as rocks and grass. I also want to use lighting in my final animation which will help with the atmosphere and make the environment fit the aesthetic more. 

Overall I am happy with the final pre-viz. I feel like certain shots are a bit slow compared to how they will look in the final thing, however felt watching it back became slightly confusing if you are trying to follow along with what is going on. I left the shots at the general length I want them to be in the final thing. This makes shots such as the running cycle appear slightly slowed down, however the character will be moving a lot more in the final thing to fill in for the lack of movement in the pre-viz. 


Previz with no audio



After creating the initial animatic I then went into Adobe Audition to add sounds effects into the animation. I mainly reused the sounds which I had used on my previous pre-viz. I found that the sounds seem to become repetitive and I want to seek out additional sound effects mainly for the weapon swinging and characters running. In the future I really want to hone in on making the two characters sound unique. The cyberpunk character is meant to be from a futuristic world and it is made out of metal. I want this to be considered when I do the sound design for the final animation in major. 


Pre-viz With Audio




Below I have taken screenshots from the pre-viz to show instances in which my compositional research was used. I tried to match the framing of the pre-viz to the animatic. I found that composition within a 3D world can become confusing and I want to do additional research on camera lenses in Maya. I want my animation to look the best it can be and so need to make sure I'm showing it off in the best way. I also want to use the rule of thirds grid on my camera while creating the final animation shots. 





Below is the video of my animatic for comparison as well as a link to my previous premise pre-viz for comparison. 

Animatic For Reference



Premise: Pre-Viz









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh