Premise: Final Submission Art Of + Reflective Statement

Art Of

Below is my Premise project "art of", showing the progression of my project through my artwork and influences. The document can be downloaded for closer inspection. 



Final Reflection On Premise Project

 I started the premise project with the knowledge that I wanted to create an animation which would push my skills. My goal was to produce a product which I was proud of to show off to possible employers. From previous projects I had been able to measure my skills, allowing me to identify my strengths and weaknesses. I wanted to take the opportunity the premise project allows to fully hone in on my weaker areas in order to give me the best possible outcome when it comes to the end of major. For this reason I decided to extend my project across all three units, premise, minor and major. 

From my last project titled 'Collaborations', I managed to produce a final animation I was proud of. However I felt as though the animation wasn't as fluid as it could be. This concept fuelled my premise project idea as I wanted something that would push me to improve upon this skill. This is what caused me to go in the direction of a character focused fight scene. 

I found the project to be overwhelming in its freedom, however that was also the best part of the project as I was able to be creative and make decision for myself. I was no longer restricted by a specific theme and could instead submerse myself in the things I personally find interesting. For this reason I can confidently say my time management has been the best its ever been throughout all the units. I feel a large part of that is due to my enjoyment of the project. As it was my responsibility to track my own progress, I was also able to set goals I wanted to achieve for each term, an achieve them on time. I also appreciated the class presentations as it motivated me to get to a specific point in my work on time, ready to show off to others. 

When re-reading different parts of my blog you can see the many different changes my project went through, which was usually the result of the research I completed. I allowed my research to shape the direction my project went in, using influences which personally inspire me along with recommendations from my tutor and classmates. I found it very useful to be able to bounce my ideas off of others, particularly my tutor, as I helped keep the project focused. 

One of the more weaker parts of my project is probably the lack of experimentation with modelling the characters. I wanted to do a previz model for both characters however felt their wasn't enough time to produce models which were of a good enough quality. Instead I decided to use my time elsewhere, improving on things which were mention in the presentation. 

Overall I am proud of the work I produced for the project and feel as if I am at a strong position going into the 3rd Year. My favourite part of the project turned out to be designing both my characters, particularly the Samurai. I am really happy with his backstory and final design. I found this process to be fun after researching the characters I personally love and identifying what makes them compelling. I was then able to use this information to mould my own character. Over the holidays I hope to continue my work by modelling the environment and characters. I will be able to refer back to the Jetpack Jones video tutorials in order to help me complete this goal. This will ensure I have a strong start when returning back in September. 




Below are the links to all of the work I have done throughout Premise. All work is tagged under the word "Premise" on my blog if searching through blog that way. All images and research has also been uploaded to Basecamp as well as the blog. 



Premise Project Links 


Premise Introduction

Introduction To Premise: Forming Initial Ideas



Premise: First Meeting With Tutor



Premise Proposal Update




Premise Research


Premise Project: Akira Film Review 



Premise Research: Paris 2054 Renaissance Film Review



Premise Research: Ghost In The Shell Film Review 



Premise: Investigating Characters And Art Styles



Premise Research: The Importance Of World Building + How Does This Effect My World



Premise: Second Meeting With Tutor



Premise Research: Investigating Love, Death + Robots






Character And World Concepts



Premise: Cyberpunk Character Design 




Premise Research: Initial Samurai Character Design 



Premise: Environment Design Ideas



Premise: Ideas For Japanese Palace



Premise: Improving Upon Initial Character Design - The Eyes



Premise: Improving Upon Initial Character Design - The Head



Premise: Improving Upon Initial Character Design - The Body



Premise: Investigating Cowboy Bebop + Fight Scenes


Premise: Rooftop Orthographs For Traditional City 



Premise: Japanese Architecture Orthographs



Premise: Full Palace Concept 



Premise: Reflecting Upon Ideas OF Cyberpunk World 



Premise: Final Character Design + Turn-a-rounds



Premise: Japanese Environment Orthographs



Premise: Additional Concept Art For Environment



Premise: Character Expression Sheet 



Premise: Final City Concept Art



Premise: Character Props + Jackie Chan Prop Fight Analysis 



Premise: Character Poses 2






Storyboards + Animatic


Premise: Initial Storyboard + Ideas



Premise: Final Storyboard



Premise: Animatic








Previz


Premise: Making The Pre-Viz Scene 



Premise: Pre-Viz






Class Presentation Improvements 


Premise: Presentation Reflection 



Premise: Investigating Stylized Fights + Poses And Camera Work 



Premise: Test Modelling 



Premise: Implementing Changes To World





Career Pack 

Career Pack 



How To Make A Showreel 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Project Submission Post: Reflective Statement + Art Of

From Script To Screen: Investigating How Shutter Island Tricks The Audience

Character Bible: Elliot Goh